Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

What Time Is It?

Funny how getting out of the habit of something can be so hard to get back into the habit of doing it again!  This is the same for not only missing church but working out, being organized, eating healthy, even making your bed everyday!  And at the same time, those simple things can weigh heavy on your heart!  So last evening, I broke out of my little comfort bubble and went to a function put on by my church.  We have a new pastor and this event was for getting to know her.  I met people that are new to my church, old to my church and everywhere in between.  What was really nice is that the onery old man who is very involved in our church gave me the "who are you and how the hell do you belong here?" questions.  He was intimidating and had we not been at the pub for this informal meeting, I would have curled up in a little ball and hid!  But I handled it fine.  He was appreciative of my answers and then invited me to come back to church this Sunday as did another gentleman.  I thought that was so awesome but I have to help a friend out Sunday morning and can't be there.  However, it is my full intention to be there next weekend! 

So to back up just a hair, when this was being planned I asked if I could bring anything in order to keep myself more accountable.  My friend tells me to bring something for munchies if I wanted.  And like normal, I stressed about what to bring!  What goes good with Bibles and Brews???  I found out that what I made did!  Disclaimer:::  I was so busy trying to get everything done and get out the door that I didn't get a picture!  However, I got rave reviews from even the onery old guy!  I did get one of the leftover dip though!

So what time is it?  It's time to keep things simple and do what's in your heart!  Jump in the puddles!  Throw a snowball or two!  Slide on the ice!  Go to church (someone upstairs is calling!)! Tell everyone you love that you love them!  I will leave you with a Bible verse that made lots of sense to me.  It's just about being simple!  Also, a couple of great appetizer recipes just in time for the super bowl! 

Keeping in Simple,
Blonde & Blue

 
CREAMY BLACK BEAN SALSA
(Taste of Home)
 
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 C frozen corn, thawed
1 C finely chopped sweet red pepper
3/4 C finely chopped green pepper
1/2 C finely chopped red onion
1 T minced fresh parsley
1/2 C sour cream
1/4 C mayonnaise
2 T red wine vinegar
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp pepper
Tortilla chips
 
In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, peppers, onion and parsley.  Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar and seasonings; pour over corn mixture and toss gently to coat.  Serve with tortilla chips.  Refrigerate leftovers.
 
 
BUFFALO CHICKEN "FRIES"
(Cuisine at Home)
 
1/3 C hot sauce (such as Frank's)
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 T Honey
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, sliced lengthwise into 1/2 inch wide strips, seasoned with salt and pepper
1/3 C all-purpose flour
1/4 C vegetable oil, divided
 
Whisk together hot sauce, butter and honey in a large bowl.  Toss chicken strips with flour in a large resealable plastic bag until coated; shake off excess flour.  Heat 2 T oil in large saute pan over medium-high; add half the chicken strips, saute until browned, about 2 minutes per side, then transfer to hot sauce mixture and toss to coat.  Repeat with remaining oil and chicken strips. 

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, your blog is so refreshing! Thanks! Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete